Shillong Teer is a popular traditional archery-based lottery game that is primarily played in the Indian state of Meghalaya, with Shillong being the capital city. The game is unique in that it combines elements of archery and gambling, and it has gained a significant following in the region. Here’s how Shillong Teer works:
1. Archery Component: Shillong Teer is played with real archers and arrows. In the afternoon, a group of archers gathers at a designated location, usually an open field or arena.
2. Target Selection: Two Shillong Teer Common Numbers rounds of shooting are held each day. In each round, archers shoot a predetermined number of arrows at a circular target. The target typically consists of a wooden board with numbers ranging from 1 to 100.
3. Betting: Before the archery rounds begin, people place bets on the numbers they believe will be hit by the arrows. Bets can be placed on individual numbers or combinations of numbers. The bets are placed with local bookmakers or Teer counters.
4. Results: After both rounds of shooting are completed, the organizers count the number of arrows that have hit the target. The last two digits of the total number of arrows shot in each round determine the winning numbers. For example, if 1,250 arrows are shot, and 123 arrows hit the target in the first round and 145 arrows hit in the second round, the winning numbers for the day would be “23” for the first round and “45” for the second round.
5. Payouts: Those who placed bets on the winning numbers receive payouts based on the odds and the amount wagered. The payouts can vary, and the odds are typically set by the Teer organizers.
Shillong Teer is known for its cultural significance and has become a major attraction for both locals and tourists. It’s not only a game of chance but also a social event where people gather to watch the archery competitions and engage in friendly betting.
It’s important to note that the game operates within a specific legal framework in Meghalaya, and there are regulations in place to ensure its fairness and transparency. However, as with any form of gambling, individuals should participate responsibly and be aware of the potential risks involved.